Creative Art Project helper
Mementos is a new group organised by Prama working with the Borough of Poole Arts Service and is open to people living with dementia and their family carers
We are offering an opportunity for two volunteers to work alongside two professional artists and support this initiative. We are seeking sociable, supportive volunteers to enable people with dementia and their family carers to fully participate in the group activities. The group will be led by experienced artists and you will be working under their guidance throughout the project. The group will meet on Thursday morning for 20 weeks.
You will be required to:
- take on a range of practical tasks including: setting up the room, making and serving refreshments, washing up and clearing away.
- support participants to be fully involved with their projects
- work under the guidance of the artists throughout the project
- you may be required to support participants with their practical projects if required (for example assisting with sewing where a participant’s eyesight or dexterity prevents them from being able to do so unassisted)
- be available to attend group sessions at Cynthia Close in Poole on Thursdays from 9.30am to 12.30pm for 20 weeks (this includes set up / tidy away time).
- be enthusiastic about, and committed to, supporting people living with dementia to fully participate in the group activities.
- be able to support people to work independently, as well as to know when to provide further practical support
- be committed to working as part of a team under the direction and guidance of the artists.
- have some understanding the needs of people whose lives are touched by dementia and their family carers.
- be positive and committed about supporting people to live well with dementia.
- DBS Disclosure (one can be arranged for you).
- be prepared to attend an informal interview.
Some creative skills, especially in working with textiles, would be an advantage.
Expenses are available to cover your travel costs for up to £5 per session. You will need to keep receipts / bus tickets and will need to claim every month.
How to apply:
For an informal discussion, and to see if this role is for you, please contact the project manager: Anna Shiels, Arts Programme Manager (Arts and Health), Borough of Poole Arts Service.
Tel. 01202 633971 or click on the Apply now button